Product Information Stone Slab
Types of Stone:
- Granite - Granite is the number one choice for high use
areas, such as a kitchen countertop, because it is extremely
dense and durable.
- Marble - Marble is a crystallized limestone that comes in
many different color variations and usually displays a veining
pattern that adds to its uniqueness. Marble is more porous than
granite, therefore popular for bath applications rather than the
more heavily used kitchen areas.
- Limestone/Travertine - Typically, these stones are honed with
the matte finish although some of the harder types can be
polished. As these stones are even more porous than marble, they
may require more preventative maintenance over time.
Natural Stone Slab
- Slabs are solid pieces of stone that are used for
countertops, backsplashes, wall and surrounds.
- More expensive than natural stone tile.
- Different stone types are better suited for
different uses. Granite is the most popular slab for
kitchen counters for hardness and durability.
- Seams in slabs are possible and can be visible
depending upon the application and layout.
- Edge Treatments
- You will have a choice of edge treatments for
slab. Some edge details are simply the edge of the
slab rounded or cut in different styles such as a
bullnose, bevel edge, or ogee. The other type is
called a laminated edge where there are two pieces
of stone laminated together to form more of an
overhang. With the laminated edges you will see a
What About Sealing?
It is highly recommended that you seal your stone tile
or slab after it is installed to provide additional
stain resistance and to protect the stone’s original
beauty. There are different types of sealers depending
on the type of stone. Scratches, stains, etching and
dulling of the surface are all permanent damage and
forever alter the appearance of your stone. Ask your
design consultant for information about sealing.
The Value of Upgrading
- Access to more durable stones
- Wider selection of colors
- Wider selection of edge details
- Adds value to any home