Before You Buy Laminate
Before you buy:
- The primary reasons to choose laminate countertops over other
tops include: Receiving a good quality product at an affordable
price, its ease of maintenance and its hard, impact resistant
- Due to the reasonable cost of laminate, they are a desirable
option, but will not last as long as other solid surface type
surfaces. However, some see this as an advantage. Due
to the lower cost, the look of a kitchen can be changed and
updated more frequently.
- Laminate countertops have been the most affordable countertop
choice for decades.
- You can also chip laminate and while it cannot be repaired
completely, it is far less expensive to replace this top than
other countertop material options.
- Laminate tops are easy to install and durable.
- Eventually, it is possible the seams will show and dirt and
bacteria can become trapped over time. If a seam is located
close to a sink, the seam can become unsightly if water is
allowed to soak in to the product. Keep excessive moisture
away from seams.
- Laminate countertops like those made from granite and
engineered stone have seams where the countertop sections
meet. A good fabricator can make a laminate top seam almost
- Countertops come in to direct contact with food. The
less porous the top, the less likelihood bacteria will be trapped
in the surface. Laminate performs well in this application,
because it is a non-porous product.
- Laminate is ideal in high use areas such as: Craft/Hobby
rooms, Garages, Children’s rooms, Libraries, Family rooms,
Cabinets, tables and Snack bars.
- Laminate has been very popular for children’s rooms due to
the wide variety of design options and the safety afforded by
rounded custom edges on tables and countertops. The product
also works well on walls and doors. Again, it is a
non-porous surface so it is resistant to bacteria.